Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Our Skeptic Forums
 Religion
 God damn! It's the Rude Pundit again...!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2005 :  11:34:04  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Tellin' it like it is, and like it should be.

quote:
9/26/2005
The "Mainstream" Family Research Council Says Katrina and Rita Are A "Warning" For "Grave National Sins" (Part of the Christ Weary Series):
In Rolling Stone this past week, in the midst of its excellent coverage of the post-Katrina insanity, there's a list of quotes (in the print version) from various "religious" figures about the hurricane being evidence that God, Jesus, or whatever is mightily pissed at the United States (and/or homosexuality). Yep, God's showin' us who's boss, they say. Not a one of the quoted people of faith are anything more than fringe-ass nuts beggin' for air time, except for Hal Lindsey, who's been tellin' us the end of days is here since he stopped beshitting his diaper, and Pat Robertson, who's quickly disappearing into a miasma of irrelevance.

But now a group that's considered even more mainstream among the monkeyfuck insane Christian right and the media is saying the same thing.

I think that if there actually were some sort of almighty and apopletic, old fart in the sky, he'd be a lot more pissed at the antics of the chronic-liars-in-his-name running their spiteful mouths in the media than at the victims of natural disasters, whatever their sex and gambling foibles.

Fuck Dobson and his slimey pack of sanctimonous, Bible-whining, fellow travelers. All they seek is an American theocracy with, of course, themselves in charge, in person or by proxy, and reaping the benefits to the detriment of everyone else. Read history, my Skeptic Friends. It's all spelled out, right there.

Hight-ho and forward into the brave, new Fourteenth Century!

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2005 :  12:31:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
I say we start a Skeptic Vortex* and let the brutals have at it, for our veiwing pleasure.

* The Skeptic Vortex would be filled with green bread and half naked hot chicks as is any Vortex.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Maverick
Skeptic Friend

Sweden
385 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2005 :  13:57:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Maverick a Private Message
Even if it was true, it wouldn't make any sense by a god to do so. If this god is omnipotent, then surely he could simply make us not sin anymore, instead of just killing people randomly. They would likely keep saying how important it is to get rid of massmurderers like Saddam Hussein and so on, and that is of course true, but why do so many of them worship the massmurderer in the sky?

"Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of this astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy." -- Carl Sagan
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2005 :  14:02:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
Well, they would say that god gave us free will and to make us not sin would undo that. So far better to kill off hundreds or thousands of people to prove a point. Though the killing off of these people (children included) deprived them of free will....

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2005 :  14:07:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by pleco

Well, they would say that god gave us free will and to make us not sin would undo that. So far better to kill off hundreds or thousands of people to prove a point.
Yeah, but why does it have to be random murder? Surely an omnipotent god could target individual sinners a bit more precisely than a class 5 hurricane.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2005 :  14:08:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by H. Humbert

quote:

Well, they would say that god gave us free will and to make us not sin would undo that. So far better to kill off hundreds or thousands of people to prove a point.
Yeah, but why does it have to be random murder? Surely an omnipotent god could target individual sinners a bit more precisely than a class 5 hurricane.

Yes, but then that would PROVE god exists, and by Douglas Adam's postulate, faith denies proof and god dissappears in a puff of logic. So it is in god's own survival interests to remain enigmatic.

by Filthy
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2005 :  14:21:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
Yes, but then that would PROVE god exists, and by Douglas Adam's postulate, faith denies proof and god dissappears in a puff of logic. So it is in god's own survival interests to remain enigmatic.

Ah, yes. God cannot act in any manner that deviates from what would be expected if there were no god at all. What diabolical logic.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26022 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2005 :  18:16:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Ahem:
Now it is such a bizarrely improbable coincidence that anything so mindbogglingly useful [as the Babel Fish] could evolve purely by chance that some thinkers have chosen to see it as a final clinching proof of the non-existence of God.

The argument goes something like this:

"I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing." "But," says Man, "the Babel Fish is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It proves you exist, and so therefore you don't. QED." "Oh dear," says God, "I hadn't thought of that" and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic. "Oh, that was easy," says Man, and for an encore he proves that black is white and gets killed on the next zebra crossing.
- Adams, Douglas. The Original Hitchhiker Radio Scripts, Harmony Books, 1985, pages 29 and 30.

My emphasis.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2005 :  20:45:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
Oops :-) I was typing fast...please do not burn me at zee stake for such heresy...please I beg of you...

by Filthy
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26022 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2005 :  21:08:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Hey, pleco, it was just a good opportunity to get that bit of timeless narration out in the open.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2005 :  21:34:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message
God sent good economic fortune and relative peace when we had a skirt chasing president and evolution was the law of the land.

Now that we have a fundy president, cabinet members holding prayer meetings and our school boards are being taken over by creationsists, God is attacking us through islamic terrorist and with the weather.

Geez, what's he trying to tell us??

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Go to Top of Page

ronnywhite
SFN Regular

501 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2005 :  21:48:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ronnywhite a Private Message
I've grown callous to claims of acts by God (good, bad, or otherwise) since after actually bothering to give thought to a bunch, and usually saying to myself "This is idiotic" I stopped bothering (I became closed-minded, I suppose.) A typical claim- religious drunk wrecked car, week later aunt died and left him some bucks, buys another car- says act of God (I'm not kidding.) Now, if God will waste an old woman so a drunk can have a new ride (or people are nuts enough to consider the possibility) seems to me God making hurricanes over boozing, sex acts (whatever) is just "another day at the office." I give up.

Ron White
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.