Pagan Rites
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2012 :  21:56:44  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2012 :  06:08:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
LOVE IT!!!!

You could also throw in a picture from "The Wicker Man" (the one from the 1973 with Christopher Lee)

Like here

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2012 :  06:36:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank goodness, and you are one of our few pagans, right?

Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2012 :  08:45:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Yup.

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2012 :  09:24:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Valiant Dancer

Yup.

Ah, good! Then you probably know all the safety procedures for keeping the conflagration limited to the Wickerman and the offerings.

I once, with some trepidation, questioned a lady friend about her Wiccan activities. I pointed out my huge doubts that very much of Pagan/Wiccan traditions were likely to have survived intact after the priests were finished.

I was enlightened to find that she wasn't offended by my objection at all. She told me that modern Pagans are aware of that major historical problem, and are simply trying to make it up as well as well as they can from fragments, while trying to keep it as ethical -- and as much fun -- as possible.

I was impressed, actually. People making shit up, and admitting as much! If only the fundies were as honest and practical.

Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2012 :  06:04:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Originally posted by Valiant Dancer

Yup.

Ah, good! Then you probably know all the safety procedures for keeping the conflagration limited to the Wickerman and the offerings.

I once, with some trepidation, questioned a lady friend about her Wiccan activities. I pointed out my huge doubts that very much of Pagan/Wiccan traditions were likely to have survived intact after the priests were finished.

I was enlightened to find that she wasn't offended by my objection at all. She told me that modern Pagans are aware of that major historical problem, and are simply trying to make it up as well as well as they can from fragments, while trying to keep it as ethical -- and as much fun -- as possible.

I was impressed, actually. People making shit up, and admitting as much! If only the fundies were as honest and practical.

Then she knows her history quite well.

Wicca is a neo-pagan religion. We try to keep that in mind. While the rituals are based on older rites, we can only reconstruct so much from historical records. Wicca itself only dates back to the early 1890's.

The Wickerman rarely makes an appearance at neopagan gatherings. In 20+ years I've never seen one, but I've also never practiced with a group that focused on a Celtic mythos. (I tended to gravitate towards Egyptian) Any sort of animal sacrifice is considered unethical by Wiccans. The Celtic mythos Wiccans use representations of the harvest (nuts, berries, breads, etc) in their Wickermen. I've not heard of any who used animal products.

Closest I've seen is the Burning Man festival and thats not even neopagan in nature.

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2012 :  08:21:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Along with umpteen trillion other unaccomplished ideas, I've considered writing a short story for one of Eric Flint's anthologies based upon the world of the 1632 novels. As you may know, that series is based upon an unexplained event that casts a small, contemporary Appalachian community into central Germany in the 1600's.

My idea was to have a small coven of young, modern Wiccans from Grantville make contact with a surviving coven of real, old-style Original Gansta Witches. The Wiccans are amazed at some of the knowledge the witches possess, especially their take on history and their skills with herbs.

The witches beg for the Wiccans' help, citing how nearly decimated they have been by witch-hunters. The Wiccans help the witches settle in Grantville, but soon find these people are just using them. The witches are as fanatical as the Christian witch-hunters of Europe. The Wiccans find they have a huge problem, especially since they were the ones who let the witches into their community.

The witches are devotees of the old Germanic pantheon, but their history of being hunted for centuries has made them tough, secretive and utterly vengeful. They have more than a few nasty rituals and a vast supply of potent poisons. Their goal is to assassinate every Christian priest and parson they can get close to.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 03/23/2012 08:25:49
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds.