Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Our Skeptic Forums
 Astronomy
 ASTRONOMERS SPOT MOST DISTANT GALAXIES EVER SEEN!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  13:44:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

Originally posted by JEROME DA GNOME

By the way, do you know why no pictures have been taken of the lunar landers from any telescopes?
Yes.

Why?

What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way. - Bertrand Russell
Go to Top of Page

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  13:50:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a friend that is an officer in the pentagon and I assure you that a newspaper can be read from space.

A friend of my aunt (they go to the same church) told her that her son is the head of the spy satellite division and that spy satellite can only resolve at best about a 4" object.

Actually you can find this data in some declassified articles.

I have another way to know the most likely resolution; it is called science. Here is how it works:

1. Distance of a satellite in low earth orbit
2. Probable payload size based on current rockets in use
3. Visible light wave length/mirror diameter.
4. Dimensions of letters in newsprint.

You can't resolve newsprint - figure it out....

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Go to Top of Page

dv82matt
SFN Regular

760 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  13:55:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send dv82matt a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Originally posted by dv82matt

From how far away can a camera "read" a newspaper? Answer the question Jerome.
Earth orbit.

From your other post:
Quickbird can take pictures with a resolution of about 23 inches. I would presume the government has better technology than is available commercially.
Quickbird at an altitude of 450 kilometers does not have sufficient resolution to read a licence plate let alone a newspaper on the Earth's surface and the Moon is 850 times further away.
I have a friend that is an officer in the pentagon and I assure you that a newspaper can be read from space.
Well that settles it then.
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  14:05:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by furshur

A friend of my aunt (they go to the same church) told her that her son is the head of the spy satellite division and that spy satellite can only resolve at best about a 4" object.

Actually you can find this data in some declassified articles.

I have another way to know the most likely resolution; it is called science. Here is how it works:

1. Distance of a satellite in low earth orbit
2. Probable payload size based on current rockets in use
3. Visible light wave length/mirror diameter.
4. Dimensions of letters in newsprint.

You can't resolve newsprint - figure it out....

You believe that a private camera that can resolve 23" is the best we have.

What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way. - Bertrand Russell
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26022 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  14:06:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

The point is features could be seen from earth with primitive telescopes. Of course there are not "canals" on Mars.
Actually, no the point of Lowell's story (and the "Face on Mars" debacle) is that with a low-resolution imaging system and some wishful thinking, one can see features that don't actually exist. The further point is that using Lowell's canals as proof that "primitive telescopes" were pretty good actually damages your argument, rather than supports it.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  14:17:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mars seen by Hubble around 5:51 a.m. ET on Aug. 27, during Mars closest approach to Earth in nearly 60,000 years.

But this is the Hubble taking a picture of the moon from 140 times closer?

Go to Top of Page

dv82matt
SFN Regular

760 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  14:17:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send dv82matt a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Originally posted by Dave W.

Keep in mind with only telescopes man saw canals on mars.
No, nobody ever saw any canals on Mars.
The point is features could be seen from earth with primitive telescopes. Of course there are not "canals" on Mars.
Do you not see how the nonexistence of the features you mention torpedos your argument?

Reformulate your argument using surface features imaged from earth that actually exist.
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  14:20:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Well, the burden of proof is on you then. Please provide evidence that a newspaper can be read by a satellite in earth orbit. Fictional movies and anecdotal evidence do not count. I am very interested.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  14:24:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Percival Lowell (1855-1916) who published his book titled simply Mars in 1895.

Features seen with primitive telescope.

Go to Top of Page

dv82matt
SFN Regular

760 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  14:29:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send dv82matt a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Originally posted by dv82matt

Jerome can you point out any features on the moon photographed from earth or near earth orbit that are 9 meters or less across?
I have not seen any photos with that resolution as not have been published.
So why do you think they exist then?
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  14:35:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by pleco

Well, the burden of proof is on you then. Please provide evidence that a newspaper can be read by a satellite in earth orbit. Fictional movies and anecdotal evidence do not count. I am very interested.

Here is one that can do 16", they keep getting smaller.

http://www.gdc4s.com/news/newsprint.cfm?prid=14

Keep in mind this information is for public consumption.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26022 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  14:40:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Let's begin with a satellite just 300 km above the Earth, looking at standard 12-point newsprint. To read it at all well, it's going to need to have a resolution on the order of a tenth of a millimeter per pixel, or an angular resolution (at 300 km) of about 3.33×10-10 radians. Assuming we look in blue light only - to get the best resolution in visible light - we can see that to get such a fantastic resolution, we'd need a telescope with a diameter of about 1,350 meters, not including the extra power needed to overcome atmospheric aberrations. Has anything that large been launched?

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  14:51:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think poor trollboy is getting his cameras mixed up. There are spy cameras that can resolve newsprint from a distance... but they are mounted on spyplanes, like the old SR-71, and operate from a distance of only a few miles, not tens or hundreds.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26022 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  14:56:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

And this is how well a 4,300-pound satellite can see. You can just barely make out the different rows of seats (but not any individual seat).

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  15:13:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

And this is how well a 4,300-pound satellite can see. You can just barely make out the different rows of seats (but not any individual seat).

The question stands: Does the publicized commercial technology represent the pinnacle of our ability?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.25 seconds.