WoE: Movie Mecca
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2009 :  06:27:04  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What on Earth? #39: Movie Mecca

This once quiet, rural community was a major center of the early motion picture business. Major Western and comedy stars worked here, and great silent films were made, but within a few years, movie history passed the community by. The filmmakers and stars relocated, and the studio burned down. An early silent theater, once owned by Edison, still operates here.

1. What is name the name and location of the community?

2. What is the name of the motion picture studio that was here?

Click for larger version

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 09/06/2009 06:44:25

Hal
Skeptic Friend

USA
302 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2009 :  09:10:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Hal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is the area once known as Niles, California, now part of Fremont. It was once home to the Essanay Film Manufacturing Company.

Now home to the Niles Essanay Silent Film Museum.
http://www.nilesfilmmuseum.org/

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
Martin Luther King Jr.

Go to Top of Page

tw101356
Skeptic Friend

USA
333 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2009 :  09:31:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send tw101356 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1. Fremont, CA, The Niles neighborhood of Fremont was the location of the early studios. The image shows Niles Blvd. The old Edison Theater is in the center of the shot at 37417 Niles Blvd.

2. Essanay Studios (actually, Essanay-West studio as the main studio was in Chicago)

Essenay hired Chaplin away from Mack Sennett and he made The Tramp at Essenay-West.

- TW
Go to Top of Page

tw101356
Skeptic Friend

USA
333 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2009 :  09:32:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send tw101356 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dang, Hal beat me to the punch as I was typing the answer.

- TW
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13477 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2009 :  10:08:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1. West Orange, New Jersey

2. Black Maria

I suspect I went too far back in motion picture history for this one.

But it's an interesting story.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26022 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2009 :  17:16:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't find anything like the image Mooner posted in either West Orange, NJ, or in Fremont. Specifically not at the coordinates that Wikipedia offers for the film studios named...

...oops, there it is. Wikipedia's coords for Essanay were in Chicago. Congrats, Hal.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2009 :  17:32:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Hal

This is the area once known as Niles, California, now part of Fremont. It was once home to the Essanay Film Manufacturing Company.

Now home to the Niles Essanay Silent Film Museum.
http://www.nilesfilmmuseum.org/

Bingo! Two points for you, Hal!

It's just a short drive from where I live in Union City, California. When Chicago-based George K. Spoor and Gilbert M. Anderson (the "Ess" and the "Ay" in Essanay) wanted to have a new studio near good film locations for making Westerns, they chose Niles, California. Anderson was a Western star, himself, known as Broncho Billy.

Wiki says:
Essanay produced silent films with such stars (and stars of the future) as George Periolat, Ben Turpin, Wallace Beery, Francis X. Bushman, Gloria Swanson, Tom Mix, Ann Little, Helen Dunbar, Lester Cuneo, Virginia Valli, Edward Arnold, and Rod La Rocque. The mainstays of the organization, however, were studio co-owner G. M. Anderson, starring in the very popular "Broncho Billy" westerns, and Charlie Chaplin.
Comedic actor Ben Turpin was a local Niles man who started as a janitor at Essanay.

The Niles Essanay Silent Film Museum was formerly the Edison Theater. It is at coordinates 37°34'37.84"N, 121°58'48.89"W. They show great silent films each weekend, with piano players to accompany the flicks. I love thjat place. It's run as a non-profit, with an endowment from the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Those running the museum are very knowledgeable about their subject. Along with a full house crowd of regulars, I like to go to that theater on weekends.

The standings:
  1. tw101356, 22 points
  2. bngbuck, 19 points
  3. Dave W., 14 points
  4. lorddix, 9 points
  5. Hal, 5 points
  6. Moakley, 4 points
  7. Steinhenge, 4 points
  8. Hawks, 3 points
  9. Simon, 3 points
  10. astropin, 1 point
  11. Dude, 1 point
  12. Filthy, 1 point
(Ties above are listed in alphabetical order.)

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 09/06/2009 18:37:17
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.