Ride -Sharing: More Fun in the Philippines
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2012 :  05:40:35  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2012 :  06:59:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2012 :  07:10:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2012 :  08:10:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2012 :  11:24:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2012 :  09:11:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I was about to write that sometimes the Philippines seems to be "one big accident waiting to happen." But that's inaccurate. It's many accidents, and they don't wait around for long.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 04/10/2012 09:15:08
Go to Top of Page

Hal
Skeptic Friend

USA
302 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2012 :  10:41:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Hal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've always been curious - how do Filipinos perceive these things? I know most might look at them and say "what idiots," but clearly there's a sizeable number of people who would say, "great idea!" And do the authorities simply look the other way?
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2012 :  12:11:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Hal

I've always been curious - how do Filipinos perceive these things? I know most might look at them and say "what idiots," but clearly there's a sizeable number of people who would say, "great idea!" And do the authorities simply look the other way?

Largely, I think, Filipinos are simply doing what they have to do to survive. That involves a lot of risk. And Filipinos have had the concept of karma (and they use that word) dating from the religious influence rubbed off on them by being in the Hindu trading and cultural sphere many centuries ago. They often just shrug their shoulders about dangers.

Police are often disorganized or doing something other than patrolling, and not visible. Many are corrupt, cruel, badly supervised, poorly trained, and stupid. (A local cop here shot a waiter dead recently when the waiter demanded that he pay for his food.)

And when they are on the job, the cops' interests often run more toward extracting petty bribes than to enforcing public safety. If they see a poor working stiff hauling a ton of lumber on his motorcycle "trike," I imagine they figure there's little money in it for them in hassling the rider.

Richer Filipinos tend to be more cautious. But they are usually little concerned with poor people.

In a sense, accident prevention is one of the luxuries many Filipinos simply cannot afford,

Edited by - HalfMooner on 04/10/2012 12:15:39
Go to Top of Page

Hal
Skeptic Friend

USA
302 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2012 :  12:41:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Hal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Originally posted by Hal

Largely, I think, Filipinos are simply doing what they have to do to survive. That involves a lot of risk. And Filipinos have had the concept of karma (and they use that word) dating from the religious influence rubbed off on them by being in the Hindu trading and cultural sphere many centuries ago. They often just shrug their shoulders about dangers.

Police are often disorganized or doing something other than patrolling, and not visible. Many are corrupt, cruel, badly supervised, poorly trained, and stupid. (A local cop here shot a waiter dead recently when the waiter demanded that he pay for his food.)

And when they are on the job, the cops' interests often run more toward extracting petty bribes than to enforcing public safety. If they see a poor working stiff hauling a ton of lumber on his motorcycle "trike," I imagine they figure there's little money in it for them in hassling the rider.

Richer Filipinos tend to be more cautious. But they are usually little concerned with poor people.

In a sense, accident prevention is one of the luxuries many Filipinos simply cannot afford,

Yes, a universal truth; survival always trumps health/safety. One famous example is the Bangkok market/railway, but the same principle applies up and down the economic spectrum. Some of us in the First World who scoff at such recklessness might just be willing to cash a mortgage-cancelling check from a gas company that wants to extract natural gas from our back yard.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2012 :  22:26:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's a fantastic video, Hal! It's like magic how the vendors nonchalantly convert the railway line back into a marketplace, in seconds flat. Were you to enter the market then, you'd hardly know a train had just run through there.

Yes, that illustrates the attitude of calculating the prospect of possible loss of life and limb versus the certainty of families going hungry if the risk is not taken. Same thing in the Philippines.

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2012 :  22:28:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.