Do You Know This Face? (29)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2012 :  09:40:45  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

If you know this face, please post the name below.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2012 :  18:40:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hint: THis person is the chief officer of a rather influential organization.

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9688 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2012 :  20:12:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eugenie C. Scott

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2012 :  20:56:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

Eugenie C. Scott
That's right, Mab, congratulations! It's Dr. Eugenie Scott, anthropologist and for many years Executive Director of the National Center for Science Education. Scott and NCSE have successfully fought against the inclusion of Creationism in public school curricula, and are now most recently also fighting against the effort to get global warming denial included as well.

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9688 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2012 :  14:39:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've met her, briefly.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13477 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2012 :  17:14:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Me too! A few times. But I'm to tired to post the photo of us. Good work Mab! Even after meeting her three or four times, I didn't get it.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2012 :  21:32:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I should have gone over to NCSE's HQ when I lived near there, but really had no excuse to do so.

Though she's an "accomodationist" and I lean toward the Gnu herd, I have great respect for Eugenie's and NCSE's accomplishments.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 04/03/2012 21:35:29
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13477 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2012 :  23:26:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

I should have gone over to NCSE's HQ when I lived near there, but really had no excuse to do so.

Though she's an "accomodationist" and I lean toward the Gnu herd, I have great respect for Eugenie's and NCSE's accomplishments.
She's not fighting for atheism. She's fighting to have science taught in science classrooms. I don't think she gives a rats ass about the arguments being made by the Gnu's. She knows what works for her particular mission. It's way to easy to be critical when you aren't the one doing the heavy lifting. (I'm not saying you're doing that.) She's a tireless fighter for science education.

We could use more Eugenie Scotts.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2012 :  23:49:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

She's not fighting for atheism. She's fighting to have science taught in science classrooms. I don't think she gives a rats ass about the arguments being made by the Gnu's. She knows what works for her particular mission. It's way to easy to be critical when you aren't the one doing the heavy lifting. She's a tireless fighter for science education.
I also think the NCSE should take a purely secular stance, and I agree that doesn't and shouldn't include evangelizing for atheism. It also shouldn't include NCSE setting up faithists in special boxes to talk about how consistent science is with their mythology, as I recall NCSE were doing. That's the small area that causes me some friction. (Correct me if I got what NCSE did wrong!)

The secular purity of NCSE is questionable only where and if they give a podium to the religious to speak as the religious. They shouldn't do that for atheists, and not for the religious, either.

What's good for the atheist goose is good for the religious gander, and for NCSE and the nation's science education as well.

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13477 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2012 :  00:02:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Originally posted by Kil

She's not fighting for atheism. She's fighting to have science taught in science classrooms. I don't think she gives a rats ass about the arguments being made by the Gnu's. She knows what works for her particular mission. It's way to easy to be critical when you aren't the one doing the heavy lifting. She's a tireless fighter for science education.
I also think the NCSE should take a purely secular stance, and I agree that doesn't and shouldn't include evangelizing for atheism. It also shouldn't include NCSE setting up faithists in special boxes to talk about how consistent science is with their mythology, as I recall NCSE were doing. That's the small area that causes me some friction. (Correct me if I got what NCSE did wrong!)

The secular purity of NCSE is questionable only where and if they give a podium to the religious to speak as the religious. They shouldn't do that for atheists, and not for the religious, either.

What's good for the atheist goose is good for the religious gander, and for NCSE and the nation's science education as well.
Well... We've been here before. I think it's okay to use people of faith to support not having creationism being taught as science. It serves her to have theists make the case that evolution doesn't run counter to their beliefs, depending on how you look at it. Remember that she's mostly fighting with Christians who think evolution can't be reconciled with their faith. So bringing in people people of faith sort of takes the wind out of their sails. If it keeps science being taught as science in the science classroom, I've no problem with the tactic. The kids (and science) will be the winners. And that's what counts.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2012 :  00:10:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Let's just agree to disagree about that tactic, Kil. It's irritating in its seeming unfairness to me, but it's not reason to avoid supporting NCSE important work.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.